[Speermint] Questions for Clarification

"Stastny Richard" <Richard.Stastny@oefeg.at> Tue, 21 March 2006 20:14 UTC

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 21:18:53 +0100
From: Stastny Richard <Richard.Stastny@oefeg.at>
To: speermint@ietf.org
Subject: [Speermint] Questions for Clarification

I have some questions for clarification regarding the SPEERMINT charter
(or in ITU-T speak: Mr Chairman, I am confused)

"SPEERMINT focuses (on) architectures to identify, signal, and route
delay-sensitive (real-time) communication sessions. These sessions
use the SIP signaling protocol to enable peering between two or more
administrative domains over IP networks. Where these domains peer,
or meet, the establishment of trust, security, and a resistance to
abuse and attack are all important considerations."

First question: the term IP networks seems to need clarification:

IP networks is a generic term valid for both the Internet and private
(walled garden) IP networks, but

I had always the opinion that this is the INTERNET Engineering
Task Force (IETF) and the PRIMARY goal is to define architectures to
identify, signal and route ... sessions on the public INTERNET.

This does not prevent anybody to use these architectures and related
protocols also on private IP networks, as it is done with other protocols
and architectures (e.g. the DNS).

But is is NOT the task of the IETF to define such architectures and
protocols PRIMARILY for the use in private IP networks.

So I undersatnd that the primary goal of SPEERMINT is to enable
peering between two or more administrative domains on the INTERNET.

and also to establich trust, security ans resistance to abuse and attacks on
the Internet.

I consider it therefore curious that some say the I-Ds draft-lendl-domain-policy-ddds-00
and draft-lendl-speermint-federation-00 are out of scope. If these drafts are out-of-scope
then maybe somebody would be so nice to explain to me what is in scope of SPEERMINT.

I am also confused about the statement from Rohan that nobody will use this because no
provider will make public to which federation he belongs to.

Since this drafts are modelled along the quite sucessful model of BGP peering, I wonder.

Imagine yor airline has a frequent flyer program, but not disclosing that it is part of
Star Alliance.

It is true that SPEERMINT is special (optional?) within the IETF, because to peer between
SIP proxies on the Internet all you need is SIP AoRs and RFC 3263 NAPTR and SRV,
and I also understand that the major problem of  the VSP starts with the SIP URI giving away
their identity (some peering fabrics make a living on this ;-)

Nobody seems to have a problem with this with e-mail

Voice is really a special application, infecting anybody with bell-headism

best regards

Richard