RE: [Speermint] NATs and Firewalls

"Hadriel Kaplan" <HKaplan@acmepacket.com> Wed, 05 April 2006 21:03 UTC

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
To: 'Medhavi Bhatia' <mbhatia@nextone.com>, speermint@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Speermint] NATs and Firewalls
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 17:03:46 -0400

Hi Medhavi,
Yes I said interesting "filling the hole" statement, because I thought your
company also makes SBCs.  :)  (I mean that in a good way, BTW)
But I don't mean to tread too deeply into marketing or business views.

I think what may be the issue is our definition of SBCs may simply not be
the same.  Maybe you feel all the functions of modern SBCs are all
implemented in a single physical box, which is not the case from my view at
all.  The functions can be broken up, or not.  It does not matter from the
context of this working group, because the peering partner is a single
logical entity and it's the requirements that must be covered, not the
implementations meeting those requirements. (as pointed out to me earlier!
:)  My only point relative to what should be "required", is applicability to
as broad a spectrum of providers as possible, where covering the case of L3
VPNs is probably the broadest approach, and within the IETF's domain.

Or maybe you feel the definition of "SBC" _requires_ media relaying
somewhere?  That is not the case for any of the current physical
implementations of SBCs that I know of in the service-provider market.  It
happens to be that many providers enable them to do that, for many reasons
way beyond "point" requirements.  For example, I consider media-relaying for
the purpose of hosted-nat-traversal a "point" requirement.  Someday it will
fix itself.  But that's not why many providers relay media, and certainly
not in peering applications; and some providers don't relay media with their
SBCs.

Regardless, in my view even if the SBC does not relay media it's still an
SBC if it performs other functions related to security, inter-working,
policies, etc.  Some of those functions are described in
draft-camarillo-sipping-sbc-funcs-03.txt, which I believe you helped author.
Clearly at some point as you remove those functions it ends up being just a
proxy.  But since a large group of providers appear to want some or all of
those functions (and more) today, at peering points, then a peering BCP for
peering providers would be most successful if it "worked" within the
constraints of those wants while providing BCPs to enable new services or
applications.

I think the simplest way to do it is to simply also cover the case of L3
VPNs peering with each other.  Do you disagree with that?  Any "services" or
applications which cannot be met by peering L3 VPNs, may be documented as
such in the BCPs, as far as I care.

That's not to say things won't change.  Whether SBCs continue to perform
their role, or all their functions, for ever or not: I don't have a crystal
ball. (else I would be in Kauai right now... ;)

Cheers,
-hadriel

As always, these are the views of me personally and not necessarily those of
my company, in case anyone forgot.