RE: [SPKM] Re: [67th IETF] SPKM3 BOF announcement

Razvan Trufasiu <Razvan.Trufasiu@hummingbird.com> Thu, 12 October 2006 22:36 UTC

From: Razvan Trufasiu <Razvan.Trufasiu@hummingbird.com>
To: "'spkm@ietf.org'" <spkm@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [SPKM] Re: [67th IETF] SPKM3 BOF announcement
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 18:36:07 -0400
Cc: "'William A.(Andy) Adamson'" <andros@citi.umich.edu>, Dan Trufasiu <Dan.Trufasiu@hummingbird.com>, 'Olga Kornievskaia' <aglo@citi.umich.edu>

Hello,

My name is Razvan Trufasiu, and I am in charge of developing an
SPKM-3/LIPKey implementation for the Hummingbird NFS Maestro server.

At the moment, Hummingbird NFSv4 implementation supports anonymous SPKM-3
and LIPKey, and the next version will hopefully implement mutual SPKM-3. Any
of these are based upon the specs released in early 2006. The specs have
already changed, from my understanding; however, updating the code to
support this should be simple. For interoperability, currently Olga and I
managed to run several Connectathon tests successfully, without Integrity or
Privacy. We can connect (tentatively) with Integrity, and are working on
being able to connect with Privacy, and run all the tests. There are several
problems we are currently still addressing.

The reason we have chosen to implement SPKM-3 or LIPKey is to provide an
alternative GSS implementation to Kerberos v5. Kerberos is often difficult
to set up, and the overhead of having a separate Kerberos server, in
addition to the NFS client/server can be cumbersome for certain users.
LIPKey and anonymous SPKM-3 are easy to set up and quick to deploy, even on
large networks, without compromising the main security of GSS (although the
anonymous part of either protocol does come with some problems, such as
anonymous SPKM not doing any sort of client-side security checks). It would
also be a huge asset if the implementation of this protocol turns out to be
faster and more performing than Kerberos v5 (which it is not at the moment).

Although we have a basic release of LIPKey, our implementation is still a
work in progress, and depending on what spec change is proposed, it should
be straight-forward to make it compatible with what we have so far. There
will be exceptions, but I shall deal with those when they arise, and I still
maintain that it is possible to adapt it to anything.

-razvan