Re: [splices] draft-loreto-splices-disaggregated-media-00

Lorenzo Miniero <lorenzo.miniero@unina.it> Fri, 17 September 2010 11:17 UTC

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 13:08:58 +0200
From: Lorenzo Miniero <lorenzo.miniero@unina.it>
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Cc: splices@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [splices] draft-loreto-splices-disaggregated-media-00

I read the draft and agree with Simon that is is a good starting point (especially from what concerns the overview on the state of the art) for the WG.

I agree with Paul that a centralized approach would be safer, from what I've understood by reading the draft, considering it would at the very least provide backward compatibility with exsting devices. Such an approach would nevertheless give some issues with respect to the correlation of media streams: for instance, which of my devices should take care of the IPTV stream coming from my peer? and first of all, how do I know which of the negotiated streams comes from the remote IPTV device? questions that are currently the basis for another IETF-based effort, the yet-to-be-born telepresence WG.

That said, I'm not at all against the concept of having a completely distributed approach, but figure 5 is probably a little confusing with respect to the aim of the draft: is Bob asking Alice to involve those three devices, or is Alice somehow telling Bob that she has three different devices that she wants to involve? Is a completely distributed scenario (as in figure 1) to be considered in devising the required mechanisms or do we need at least one controller? How can we prevent misuse of the mechanisms and ensure that devices are not involved improperly? (e.g. the summer cottage webcam) Are all the devices SIP-enabled or are we envisaging support for heterogeneous devices?

I think that we need to answer these questions and clarify the scenarios before delving into the specifics of the mechanisms themselves.

Lorenzo