Re: [spring] WGLC for https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spring-mpls-path-segment/

Weiqiang Cheng <chengweiqiang@chinamobile.com> Mon, 16 August 2021 02:33 UTC

From: Weiqiang Cheng <chengweiqiang@chinamobile.com>
To: 'Dhruv Dhody' <dhruv.ietf@gmail.com>, 'James Guichard' <james.n.guichard@futurewei.com>
Cc: spring@ietf.org, spring-chairs@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 10:32:46 +0800
Subject: Re: [spring] WGLC for https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spring-mpls-path-segment/

Hi Dhruv,

Thanks a lot.

Comments are never late.

B.R.

Weiqiang Cheng

发件人: spring [mailto:spring-bounces@ietf.org] 代表 Dhruv Dhody
发送时间: 2021年8月12日 01:56
收件人: James Guichard
抄送: spring@ietf.org; spring-chairs@ietf.org

Hi,

I support the WGLC for draft-ietf-spring-mpls-path-segment. Please find my “late” comments. Hope they are still useful.

Minor

*	Section 2

*	The below text requires some more explanation

The Path Segment may be used to identify an SR-MPLS Policy, its Candidate-Path (CP), or a SID List (SL)

*	The document says Path Segment “uniquely identify an SR path”, so how does that apply to SR policy/CP (which can have multiple paths) needs to be explicit.

[Weiqiang] The term of “SR path” used in this document is a general term that can be used to describe a SR policy, a Candidate-Path, or a SID List. So how about updating the 2nd paragraph with the following text:

“The term of SR path used in this document is a general term that can be used to describe a SR Policy, a Candidate-Path (CP), or a SID List (SL) [I-D.ietf-spring-segment-routing-policy]. Therefore, the Path Segment may be used to identify an SR Policy, its CP, or a SL terminating on an egress node depending on the use-case.”

*	Section 2

*	This text

Normally, the intermediate nodes will not see the Path Segment label
and do not know how to process it. A Path Segment presenting to an
intermediate node is an error condition.

*	Path segment is just another label with no special marking, and since it is from the egress label space it is possible that the same label is used by the transit node for some other purpose. Not sure about “do not know how to process it”, is there a better way to frame this?

[Weiqiang] Maybe the simplest way to fix it is just to remove the “do not know how to process it” text, for example as below:

“Normally, the intermediate nodes will not see the Path Segment label. A Path Segment presenting to an intermediate node is an error condition.”

*	Section 8

*	This needs to be expanded. The path segment does carry a label in the packet that can be used to identify the flows that are using a particular path. The path segment in the control plane could also be exploited for incorrect correlation between paths.

[Weiqiang]

Sure, we will try to expand it a bit.

And if there is some suggestion text, that will be great.

Nits

*	Add references in the terminology section 1.2
*	Add references for SRLB/SRGB [RFC8402]
*	Section 2

*	s/SR-MPLS Policy/SR Policy/

*	Section 3

*	s/Path Computation Element Protocol (PCEP)/Path Computation Element Communication Protocol (PCEP)/

*	Section 5

*	s/[I-D.gandhi-mpls-ioam-sr]/[I-D.gandhi-mpls-ioam]
*	s/[I-D.gandhi-spring-stamp-srpm]/[I-D.ietf-spring-stamp-srpm]

[Weiqiang] Will fix the above nits in the revision.

Thanks!
Dhruv