[spring] [EXPERIENCE] //RE: WGLC for draft-ietf-spring-sr-replication-segment

"Xiejingrong (Jingrong)" <xiejingrong@huawei.com> Thu, 16 February 2023 12:29 UTC

From: "Xiejingrong (Jingrong)" <xiejingrong@huawei.com>
To: James Guichard <james.n.guichard@futurewei.com>
CC: SPRING WG <spring@ietf.org>, "bruno.decraene@orange.com" <bruno.decraene@orange.com>, Rishabh Parekh <rishabhp@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 12:29:09 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.108.202.42]
Subject: [spring] [EXPERIENCE] //RE: WGLC for draft-ietf-spring-sr-replication-segment

Hi Jim and the WG:

Please allow me to provide the [EXPERIENCE], as promised in previous mail,  that a valid comment may be understood and adopted but may need quite a long time.

In July 2019, I comment on SRv6-OAM draft, and the main points there (see [A.1] and [A.2] below):
it is easy for an SID to support sending the ICMPv6 packet to CPU, and support pinging this SID just the same as pinging a classic IPv6 address.
The normal use of End.DT4 doesn't require an SRH header, while the pinging of the End.DT4 need to add an SRH with an End.OTP and the End.DT4. That is something bad.

In June 2020, the above comment is understood and adopted by the SRv6-OAM and SRv6-PGM document, which was later the RFC9259 and RFC8986 respectively.
The End.OP together with the use of SRH in SRv6-OAM is no longer used in SRv6-OAM rev-05. (See [A.3] below).
The modification in SRv6-PGM rev-16 is to make the SRv6 more “smooth” with IPv6, instead of using the semantics of SRv6 SID to “override” the behavior of normal IPv6 packet. (See the Pseudo-code in Section 4.1 of the rev-16 in [A.4] below ).

[A.2] [2019.7.19] [Re: [spring] Comments on <draft-ali-6man-spring-srv6-oam-02>] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/spring/Nwf6EuJvox_RqXStnL3B_Ms5ngY<https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/spring/Nwf6EuJvox_RqXStnL3B_Ms5ngY/>/<https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/spring/Nwf6EuJvox_RqXStnL3B_Ms5ngY/>
[A.3] [2020.6.12] [SRv6-OAM adopted the above comments] https://author-tools.ietf.org/iddiff?url1=draft-ietf-6man-spring-srv6-oam-05
[A.4] [2020.6.27] [SRv6-PGM modified accordingly] https://author-tools.ietf.org/iddiff?url1=draft-ietf-spring-srv6-network-programming-16

Thanks,
Jingrong

本邮件及其附件可能含有华为公司的保密信息,仅限于发送给上面地址中列出的个人或群组。禁止任何其他人以任何形式使用(包括但不限于全部或部分地泄露、复制、或散发)本邮件中的信息。如果您错收了本邮件,请您立即电话或邮件通知发件人并删除本邮件!
This e-mail and its attachments may contain confidential information from HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by phone or email immediately and delete it!