Re: [spring] Comments on draft-ietf-spring-bfd-07

linchangwang <linchangwang.04414@h3c.com> Mon, 31 July 2023 13:21 UTC

From: linchangwang <linchangwang.04414@h3c.com>
To: Gyan Mishra <hayabusagsm@gmail.com>, Greg Mirsky <gregimirsky@gmail.com>
CC: Ketan Talaulikar <ketant.ietf@gmail.com>, SPRING WG <spring@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:21:10 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.114.76.67]
x-sender-location: DAG2
Subject: Re: [spring] Comments on draft-ietf-spring-bfd-07

Hi All,

Path  inconsistency  may cause false positive issue.
When we have a high SLA requirement for the seglist path in an SR policy, and there is bi-directional symmetric traffic forwarding path present,
we need to ensure that there is BFD bidirectional path consistency. This helps to avoid any false BFD DOWN events.
To the issue, The consistency of  forward and reverse path of the same session should be guaranteed.

S-BFD provides a simplified mechanism which is suitable for monitoring of paths that are setup dynamically and on a large scale network, with supporting
verification on reflector.
U-BFD defined in [I-D.ietf-bfd-unaffiliated-echo] can effectively reduce the device equipment.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-lin-bfd-path-consistency-over-sr/
-This draft【draft-lin-bfd-path-consistency-over-sr】 describes how S-BFD and U-BFD to achieve the bidirectional path consistency of packet
when monitoring SR policy.

  Path Segment is used to identify an SR path
       1) In SR for MPLS,   is defined in [draft-ietf-spring- mpls-path-segment]
       2) In SR for IPv6,   is defined in [draft-ietf-spring-srv6-path-segment]
[draft-ietf-idr-sr-policy-path-segment] extends BGP SR Policy to distribute SR policies with carrying Path Segment and bidirectional path information.
Through this extension, when distributing SR policy to the headend, reverse path information and path segment of segment list could be carried together.

By utilizing the extension for SR Policy defined in 【draft-ietf-idr-sr-policy-path-segment】:

1)  By using Path Segment and Segment-Based Forwarding (SBFD) to encapsulate and forward packets along a forward path, the path-segment is included in the encapsulation.At the reflector node, this path-segment information is used to lookup the reverse path-segment, which helps to ensure the bidirectional consistency of the seglist . This provides a means to implement SBFD detection with bidirectional path consistency requirements.

2)  The complete reverse segment list can be distributed to the head node along with the segment list.
This reverse segment list can be used to specify the return path of U-BFD.

Both SR-MPLS and SRv6 can utilize the path-segment and reverse path-segment mechanism to enable SBFD and U-BFD detection for the seglist path in an SR policy,
thereby ensuring the bidirectional path consistency.

Thanks,
Changwang