Re: [Spud] What middleboxes are allowed to know (Re: [Stackevo-discuss] Fwd: Possible WG-forming follow-on to SPUD BoF)

Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch> Mon, 23 May 2016 14:17 UTC

From: Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 16:17:44 +0200
To: Toerless Eckert <eckert@cisco.com>
Cc: mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch, "spud@ietf.org" <spud@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Spud] What middleboxes are allowed to know (Re: [Stackevo-discuss] Fwd: Possible WG-forming follow-on to SPUD BoF)

hi Toerless,

> On 23 May 2016, at 15:43, Toerless Eckert <eckert@cisco.com> wrote:
>

> Mirja: Your answer below "i don't want the middleboxes to require anything here"
> is letting me totally confused. If PLUS wants to define how talk with the
> middlebox (or however you want to call it "pass info to it, get info from it"),
> then it is clear that the resut of this interaction is that you will not
> achieve desirable outcomes if you do not send specific info to the middlebox
>
> Please give me an example how you think PLUS will help firewall middleboxes
> to decide whether or not to less some traffic flow pass. Lets assume that
> same firewall today is using TCP port number policies and/or DPI. What
> in your opinion should the firewall do.

I don't think this is what we're trying to do with PLUS: declarative information about network traffic *properties* doesn't match well to policies described in terms of particular fields in headers. Certainly, port number based firewall rules would still work for applications over PLUS if PLUS itself doesn't use UDP port numbers to identify itself (which, IMO, it shouldn't -- I'm a big fan of magic numbers for this).

One could certainly ask for an "application ID" as an application to path key for firewall use, but among indistinguishable applications, this is simply an invitation to lie, so I'm not optimistic about its usefulness.

Cheers,

Brian