Re: [stir] Do we agree on the basics?

"Rosen, Brian" <Brian.Rosen@neustar.biz> Wed, 19 June 2013 14:35 UTC

From: "Rosen, Brian" <Brian.Rosen@neustar.biz>
To: Michael Hammer <michael.hammer@yaanatech.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 14:34:59 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.33.193.17]
x-ems-proccessed: R64IxjzeHPwwd+efoj3ZcA==
x-ems-stamp: aKSqeJ+H5YC6IwGqhXEMaA==
Cc: "stir@ietf.org" <stir@ietf.org>, "pp3129@att.com" <pp3129@att.com>
Subject: Re: [stir] Do we agree on the basics?

Of course, like most of us, you are an engineer, so you want to see that there is at least one solution that could work before you even want to see something in a charter.  So, EKR proposed one solution where the source writes a data record in a database encrypted for the termination.  All that depends on is the source and destination identities.  Ignoring whether you think we can deploy it, it does solve the problem.

I'll give you the guts of another solution:  The SIP-> SS7 GW writes a record with Called and Calling party TNs, and the SIP headers.  The SS7-SIP GW searches for a record with the same called and calling TNs, within a short time frame, and retrieves the SIP headers, which it uses to populate its outgoing message, effectively restoring the signature and the elements that were used when creating it.  Ignoring whether you think we could deploy it, it also solves the problem, but only in a more restricted set of situations.

There are all sorts of trust issues, cert distribution issues, privacy issues, business model issues, and a host of other stuff, but either of these solutions would work.  In this thread, I'd like to stay away from discussing those issues - I'm only trying to convince you that there are reasonable engineering solutions that would work.  Once we have a WG, we can work out the issues.  In the end, that might fail, but we're starting from  reasonable engineering base I think.

Brian