[storm] Invalidation (was RE: iSER - another try)

<david.black@emc.com> Mon, 23 April 2012 21:59 UTC

From: david.black@emc.com
To: ttalpey@microsoft.com
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 17:58:59 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: storm@ietf.org
Subject: [storm] Invalidation (was RE: iSER - another try)

Tom,

> The "invalidate" form is, however, sensible to allow after carefully documenting the requirement.
> The initiator MUST verify that the appropriate memory region was invalidated, if any. However,
> whether it MUST or SHOULD perform some additional action is going to be a tough choice. A MUST
> could be too strong of a requirement, if the implementation chooses to cache or share mappings.
> On the other hand, SHOULD can introduce security vulnerabilities. Thoughts?

I think a SHOULD requirement would be ok if text is added to the security considerations section
to discuss exposure of initiator memory via STags, the initiator's responsibility to manage that
exposure via STag invalidation, and the potential security consequences of lazy invalidation that
an initiator implementation may choose to trade off against performance benefits.  This would be
in addition to new security considerations text that warns that an initiator MUST NOT rely upon
responder use of "invalidate" forms of Send (your "MUST verify" stated as a "MUST NOT" requirement).

Thanks,
--David