[storm] iSCSI MIB: Matching connections to the TCP/TCP-ESTATS MIBs

Mark Bakke <Mark_Bakke@DELL.com> Fri, 13 July 2012 22:54 UTC

From: Mark Bakke <Mark_Bakke@DELL.com>
To: "Storm (storm@ietf.org)" <storm@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 17:54:48 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "mrm@vmware.com" <mrm@vmware.com>, "prakashvn@hcl.com" <prakashvn@hcl.com>
Subject: [storm] iSCSI MIB: Matching connections to the TCP/TCP-ESTATS MIBs

Fellow iSCSI MIB enthusiasts,

During our latest review, one suggestion was to provide better troubleshooting connectivity with the TCP MIB module.  I have a few questions for the list, below.

>From MIB Doctor Review:

iscsiMibModule(1.3.6.1.2.1.142)

  +--iscsiNotifications(0)
  |  |
  |  +--iscsiTgtLoginFailure(1) [iscsiTgtLoginFailures,iscsiTgtLastFailureType,iscsiTgtLastIntrFailureName,iscsiTgtLastIntrFailureAddrType,iscsiTgtLastIntrFailureAddr]

Consider adding port number.

  |  +--iscsiIntrLoginFailure(2) [iscsiIntrLoginFailures,iscsiIntrLastFailureType,iscsiIntrLastTgtFailureName,iscsiIntrLastTgtFailureAddrType,iscsiIntrLastTgtFailureAddr]

Can't determine if the failure is due to failure of the underlying transport or not.
When transport is TCP there should be some way to get to the TCP-MIB/TCP-ESTATS-MIB diagnostics.
See notes on iscsiInstanceSsnErrorStatsTable.

Consider adding port number.

[Mark]  Although we can navigate to the TCP-MIB for connections that are alive (these provide local and remote IP addresses and port numbers, for the LastFailures for initiator and target entries, adding the port number as suggested would allow these to be potentially matched with these MIBs.

The question to the list is:

1.       Will this provide better troubleshooting capabilities for failed connections?

2.       Will implementations be likely to provide and use these fields?

Thanks,

Mark