Re: [storm] iSCSI consolidated draft: IPsec topics

"Black, David" <david.black@emc.com> Sun, 10 March 2013 02:08 UTC

From: "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>
To: "storm@ietf.org" <storm@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 21:08:28 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [storm] iSCSI consolidated draft: IPsec topics

Having seen no objection to this, I think we have WG rough
consensus for all three of these IPsec items:

> a) Need to specify required key lengths
> b) Scope of update to RFC 3723 (IP Storage Security)
> c) Encryption Algorithm requirements

However the next steps from here are different for each item:

-- a) Required key lengths

Mallikarjun should go ahead and add the appropriate text to the iSCSI
consolidated draft to say that 128 bit AES keys are REQUIRED, and
other key lengths are OPTIONAL.

-- b) Scope of update to RFC 3723 (IP Storage Security)

We will need to update 3723 and *everything* that references it -
iSER turned out to be the forcing function here, as it requires
the RFC 3723 IPsec profile to be updated for both iSCSI and the
iWARP (rddp) protocols, otherwise the result for iSER over iWARP
is bizarre (two different IPsec profiles).

In 20/20 hindsight (e.g., I wish I'd thought of this over the holidays
at the end of last year), I now think the "right thing" to do here is to
write a separate draft that contains the IPsec updates to 3723, and anything
else that needs to be changed there.  That'll help people who just want
to understand the IPsec changes, and it'll cut down the list of RFCs
that the consolidated iSCSI RFC updates, as RFC 3723 is cited by 19 RFCs:

	http://www.arkko.com/tools/allstats/citations-rfc3723.html

That can't be done yet, because ...

-- c) Encryption Algorithm requirements

I need to take these to the ipsecme WG mailing list and meeting this week
in Orlando to get them checked by the experts on this. Stay tuned ...

Thanks,
--David