Re: [storm] SPC-2 reserve/release: Proposed text - version 4

"Knight, Frederick" <Frederick.Knight@netapp.com> Wed, 26 September 2012 12:39 UTC

From: "Knight, Frederick" <Frederick.Knight@netapp.com>
To: Mallikarjun Chadalapaka <cbm@chadalapaka.com>, "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>, "storm@ietf.org" <storm@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 12:39:15 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.104.60.116]
Subject: Re: [storm] SPC-2 reserve/release: Proposed text - version 4

I'm concerned about this new link between Time2Wait and RESERVE state.  Such a link has not previously existed.  I don't think we should create such a linkage.

Section 4.6.3.3 includes:
.... In addition, the Logout Response indicates how long the target will continue to hold resources for recovery (e.g., command execution that continues on a new connection)....

This and many other places where Time2Wait and Time2Retain are discussed, the points all have to do with command continuation; no mention of I_T state, or RESERVE state, or mode pages, or anything else.

Section 7.5 says:
.... Time2Wait is the initial "respite time" before attempting an explicit/implicit Logout for the CID in question or task reassignment for the affected tasks (if any)....

Or, task reassignment of affected tasks; with no mention of I_T state.

Section 7.6 ties the termination of tasks to the Time2Wait / Time2Retain timers.  Section 11.14.5 makes the same statements about the task termination linkage to those timers.

Section 11.15.3 says those timers are "...the minimum amount of time, in seconds, to wait before attempting task reassignment.".

Section 8.3 defines Session State.  And there is one sentence that I can find in all 345 pages that associates that session state with these timers.  It is in section 11.15.4 where it says: If it is the last connection of a session, the whole session state is discarded after Time2Retain.

I don't see anywhere that these timers are associated with any SCSI state, or with the RESERVE state.  Attempting to tie RESERVE state to these timers is a NEW requirement.  Our goal here was specifically to NOT create any new requirements.

We do not want to impact existing iSCSI implementations.  Could we associate the action that occurred with the observable behavior the host sees?  I don't like putting SCSI layer stuff in a transport layer spec, but it should just be informative.  Something like:

If the initiator receives a UA: 29/00 or 29/01 or 29/04 then the RESERVE state has been lost.  (Maybe 29/04 belongs in a RESERVE state unknown list).

If the initiator receives a UA: 29/07 then the RESERVE state has been preserved.

I didn't list 29/02 or 29/03 or 29/05 or 29/06 since I view those as Parallel SCSI specific.  We can debate which items belong in which list, but would this kind of observable behavior approach be better than a new requirement?  FYI - I didn't invent this; I copied it from SAM-5r11 (sub-clause 6.3.4) where it states it as a requirement on the target -  that when an I_T NEXUS LOSS event occurs, if the state is retained, 29/07 is returned, and if the state is not retained, then 29/01 is returned.

We also don't want to create any new requirement now in this consolidated draft that conflicts with this SAM-5 text, since we will eventually have to comply with SAM-5 and its follow-ons.

Another approach would be to ignore this for the consolidated draft, and force it into the iSCSI-SAM draft - which references SAM-4 and SAM-5 where I_T Nexus loss is already defined and the above text already exists.

	Fred