Re: [straw] WGLC Comments on draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-loop-detection-02

"Hutton, Andrew" <andrew.hutton@siemens-enterprise.com> Fri, 20 September 2013 18:36 UTC

From: "Hutton, Andrew" <andrew.hutton@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kaplan@oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 18:36:14 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.29.42.225]
Cc: "straw@ietf.org" <straw@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [straw] WGLC Comments on draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-loop-detection-02

See below.

Andy

The MUST would only mean that as according to RFC5393 some kind of loop detection has to be implemented but if you think this is too strong then I am ok with how it is. Sorry I had missed the previous discussion.

> > 2. Section 5 states " B2BUAs MAY perform the same actions for in-
> dialog requests, but doing so may cause issues with devices that set
> Max-Forwards values based upon the number of received Via or Record-
> Route headers"
> >
> > I think this could do with some more explanation regarding mid-dialog
> requests and the issues associated with setting Max-Forwards based on
> Via or Record-Route. It would be good to remove this "MAY" and have
> clear requirements for handling mid-dialog requests. Do we really need
> to have the text about setting based on the number of via or record-
> route headers?
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  This doc is about B2BUA
> handling copying the Max-Forwards, not about the originating UAC
> setting the MAx-Forwards.  The text in this section was based on this:
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/straw/current/msg00157.html

Ok now I think I understand the problem is that if the B2BUA decrements Max-Forwards for mid-dialog requests and the originator set the value based on the number of Via or Record-Route headers then the value is going to go to zero.  So I still think this needs a bit more explanation so the reader really understands this issue and can make a decision whether this applies in their environment or not.