[Suit] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-suit-information-model-08: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 03 December 2020 13:26 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-suit-information-model@ietf.org, suit-chairs@ietf.org, suit@ietf.org, Dave Thaler <dthaler@microsoft.com>, dthaler@microsoft.com, stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 05:26:49 -0800
Subject: [Suit] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-suit-information-model-08: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-suit-information-model-08: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-suit-information-model/

COMMENT:

Thank you for the work put into this document. It is easy to read and the
examples are useful.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated), and some nits. I draw authors' attention to my comment on section
4.

Stephen Farrel, in copy, also did a IOT directorate review available at
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-suit-information-model-08-iotdir-telechat-farrell-2020-12-02/
Thank you again Stephen Please address/reply to all his points.

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

== COMMENTS ==

As usual, I find a little suprizing that an information model is "standards
track" rather than "informational" (e.g., RFC 8454,
draft-ietf-babel-information-model, draft-ietf-detnet-flow-information-model).
Data models are of course "standards track". There are exceptions though: RFC
5477, 7012, and 8193 are informational model in standards track.

Why is the word "manifest" absent of the title ? The companion data model
document has it.

-- Section 1 --

Two pedantic comments/questions:

1) "The information model describes all the information elements required..."
should "relationships" be included in the sentence ?

2) "The information model does not define the serialization, encoding,
ordering, or structure of information elements, only their semantics." is
nearly a pleonasm as it should be obvious for an information model as opposed
to a data model.

-- Section 2.1 --
How much this section about "REQUIRED", ... definitions contradicts/overlaps
with section 1 definition of those terms ?

-- Section 3.1 --
"manifest format" does it refer to draft-ietf-suit-manifest, if so, then a
reference is required and how is this format is described ?

-- Section 3.2 --
"A monotonically increasing sequence number" should this number be unsigned ?
What about rollover ?

-- Section 3.1.1 & 3.4.2 & 3.4.4 (and possibly others) --
s/vendorId = UUID5(DNS, "vendor-a.com")/vendorId = UUID5(DNS,
"vendor-a.exmaple.com")/

-- Section 3.8 --
Should the type of "format" be specified in the information model ? (e.g., as
an enum or a string or ...) especially when Vendor ID element is very detailed
as UUID.

-- Section 3.13 --
While I am not a security expert, I would associate "integrity" (and not
"authenticity") with a "digest" that is not a HMAC. But, I am trusting your SEC
AD and his review ;-)

-- Section 4 --
The train has left the station of course but I really wonder what is the
relationship of this section to an information model. NB: I do like the content
though ;-)

-- Section 7.1 --
I wonder whether the reference to draft-ietf-suit-architecture (informational)
is really normative.

== NITS ==

There are a couple of missing ',' after some words "but" "instead" "e.g." "for
example" "typically" "therefore" ;-)

-- Section 3.5 --
Would "prerequisite" be more suitable than "precursor" ?