Re: [sunset4] draft-tsou-stateless-nat44

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Tue, 17 July 2012 15:49 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca>, "sunset4@ietf.org" <sunset4@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 11:49:22 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [sunset4] draft-tsou-stateless-nat44

[WEG] I appreciate (and to some extent share) your optimism. However, there are a lot of pessimists (and a fair amount of religious fervor) hanging out in this corner of the IETF. I can point you to several thousand messages about what became RFC6598 by way of an illustration, that people still believe that IPv4 life extension is a crutch for those who are behind on IPv6 deployment, or worse, not deploying. :-) Drafts that don't have words reinforcing IPv4 extension as a temporary thing tend to perpetuate that notion, and attract those folks into delaying/opposing what may otherwise be a solid idea, simply because it prolongs the agony.
IESG's guidance has been pretty clear that it isn't acceptable to assume that IPv6 is moving along and focus on residual IPv4 as a completely separate problem. The impression I have is that they will be resistant to solutions that don't at least superficially help move the deploying network towards better IPv6 support while they solve the short-term problem with IPv4 exhaustion and legacy support.

I'm not saying "we shouldn't do this" or "we shouldn't discuss this" because it uses IPv4 transport. I'm simply noting that you have a burden of proof based on our charter and the sentiment behind it (since it was written by IESG) that you would do well to consider while writing the draft, so that you're covered well before it hits IETF last call.

Thanks
Wes George, speaking as co-chair