Re: [Supa] draft-karagiannis-supra-problem-statement-05

Georgios Karagiannis <georgios.karagiannis@huawei.com> Fri, 06 March 2015 14:01 UTC

From: Georgios Karagiannis <georgios.karagiannis@huawei.com>
To: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>, "supa@ietf.org" <supa@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 14:01:07 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.47.115.38]
Cc: 'Jeffrey Haas' <jhaas@pfrc.org>, "bclaise@cisco.com" <bclaise@cisco.com>, "akatlas@gmail.com" <akatlas@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Supa] draft-karagiannis-supra-problem-statement-05

Dear Sue,

Thanks for your comments.

Not sure if I understand your argumentation. Based on the existing i2RS charter, i2RS is:

o) focusing on Interactions with the Routing Information Base (RIB), by allowing read
and write access to the RIB, but no direct access to the Forwarding  Information Base (FIB)

o)  i2RS is not focusing on encoding languages, or data models and it is

Please note however, that I agree with the situation that if i2RS will be re-chartered and  data models work will be in scope,
then the work on a data model of a protocol independent physical or network topology can be done in i2RS.

Please also note that the SUPA problem statement draft, already mentions:
"In particular, the network is first defined as a topology.
 Depending on IESG decisions, the YANG based data model required for
 the specification of the network topology can be selected to be
 either the output work of existing IETF WGs or a data model specified
   within SUPA WG."

Regarding the other two objectives, sorry but I cannot deduce from the i2RS charter that the i2RS WG will work on:

 o) network service data models that can be driven by network domain specific policy rules

o) network domain specific policy data models for managing the network service and mapping this service dynamically to the network topology and network resources

SUPA focuses in the two above listed items.

Best regards,
Georgios