Re: [Syslog] AD review discuss/comments for draft-ietf-syslog-dtls

<Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com> Tue, 25 May 2010 10:54 UTC

From: Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com
To: ietfc@btconnect.com, turners@ieca.com
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 12:53:42 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: syslog@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Syslog] AD review discuss/comments for draft-ietf-syslog-dtls

RFC 4346 (from which this text comes from) mostly did not use
RFC2119 keywords, but instead informal language like the
lowercase "should not" you quoted. AFAIK it was meant to
express a strict limit, not a recommendation (this is implied
by other text in the spec, and as you noticed, we clarified
this in RFC 5246).

But even though DTLS records are limited to 2^14 bytes, syslog
messages are not! The current spec seems to support 64K (minus
some small number of overhead) just fine -- the message will be
split to multiple DTLS records (max. 2^14 bytes each), but those
DTLS records are then combined to a single UDP datagram.

Best regards,
Pasi