Re: [Syslog] New syslog/tcp draft available

Chris Lonvick <clonvick@cisco.com> Tue, 01 February 2011 02:45 UTC

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:48:45 -0800
From: Chris Lonvick <clonvick@cisco.com>
To: Sean Turner <turners@ieca.com>
Cc: syslog@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Syslog] New syslog/tcp draft available

Hi Sean,

I've seen that but I don't want this document to sit idle for the next
couple of years while that matures and becomes a normative and
stable reference via becoming an RFC.

I'm really thinking that putting in definitive references for transport
layer vulnerabilities is going a bit beyond what is expected of an
INFORMATIONAL document.  That being said, I think it's a good idea and am
willing to pursue it within reason.

Gont's document does reference a paper by Steve Bellovin:
    Bellovin, S. M. 1989.  Security Problems in the TCP/IP Protocol
    Suite.  Computer Communication Review, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 32-48.
That may be found here:
   http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=378449

What would you think about referencing that document as an INFORMATIVE
reference in the third subsection of the Security Considerations section?

Thanks,
Chris