Re: [Syslog] -transport-tls-12, section 4.2.3 (fingerprint format)

"Rainer Gerhards" <rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com> Thu, 08 May 2008 20:03 UTC

Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 22:00:42 +0200
From: Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com>
To: "Joseph Salowey (jsalowey)" <jsalowey@cisco.com>
Cc: syslog@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Syslog] -transport-tls-12, section 4.2.3 (fingerprint format)
Sender: syslog-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Joe,

Back via the list, the list processor seems to have been recovered.
Thanks for your speedy reply.

[Rainer] Yes, you answered it, and it is what I expected. I think it may
be useful that the hash algorithm is identified and not the algorithm to
generate the display text. But that's only an issue if there are
multiple ways to encode the display text.

> > > If it is the former, it sounds like I should compare the
> > hash values
> > > and not actually the fingerprints. So
> > >
> > > 55:D8:43:57:39:6C:23:0F:86:B1:EB:93:1E:F3:09:DE:7B:8B:62:70
> > > 55-D8-43-57-39-6C-23-0F-86-B1-EB-93-1E-F3-09-DE-7B-8B-62-70
> > >
> > > are identical (it is just RECOMMENDED to use colons).
> However, this
> > > assumes that the fingerprint is always a hash. In this
> case, I think
> > it
> > > would be preferable to talk directly about the hash values.
> > >
> [Joe] Yes, exactly.  I specified the format to be compatible
> with common
> tools such as openssl and browsers.  If another format is better than
> that is OK.

[Rainer] I think that format is very well. I'd just prefer to have a
MUST instead of a RECOMMENDED because I think it isn't useful to allow
multiple encodings here and it can cause interop problems.

> > > If the fingerprint is not necessarily a hash, I need to
> compare the
> > > actual fingerprint, the ASCII representation. Then, the
> two strings
> > > above would be different. That could cause interop problems.
> > >
> > > I propose that we strictly define fingerprints to be
> > arbitrarily long
> > > printable USASCII. If the fingerprint contains unprintable
> > data, the
> > > whole string must be encoded as a set of octets represented by 2
> > > USASCII hex characters delimited by colons - or we may
> specify this
> > > format for all cases. This does not tie us to hashes but prevents
> > interoperability
> > > problems due to different formats.
> > >
> [Joe] I think I agree with you.  The fingerprint should be
> general and I
> think it should have a consistent format.   It is also important to
> realize the fingerprint is meaningless unless you know what
> has was used
> to generate it, so this information needs to be communicated with the
> fingerprint.

[Rainer] I agree - but that's also the reason why I think we should not
permit different was for formatting the fingerprint.

Rainer