Re: [Syslog] Self-signed certs - was: Re: -transport-tls-12, section 4.2.3 (fingerprints)

"Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com" <Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com> Mon, 12 May 2008 09:38 UTC

Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 10:12:35 +0300
From: "Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com" <Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com>
To: clonvick@cisco.com, rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com
Cc: syslog@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Syslog] Self-signed certs - was: Re: -transport-tls-12, section 4.2.3 (fingerprints)
Sender: syslog-bounces@ietf.org

Hi,

I think the real difference here is not "CA-issued certs" vs.
"self-signed certs", but "accepting any cert" vs. "accepting certs
you can verify (as trusted peers according to your local policy)".

We definitely want to discourage blindly accepting any certificate
(CA-issued or self-signed); but when properly verified, self-signed
certificates are not any less secure than CA-issued ones.

Best regards,
Pasi