RE: Transport draft preview

"Anton Okmianski" <aokmians@cisco.com> Mon, 10 May 2004 23:16 UTC

Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 19:16:18 -0400
From: Anton Okmianski <aokmians@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: Transport draft preview

Devin:

If we limit syslog over UDP to somewhere in the area of 512 bytes and
say that larger messages have to be transported via other
transport(s), are we going to then say that implementation of this
other transport is also required? I think it would be pretty tough to
proposition to require people to implement both transports and it
would be an operational risk to run a mixed environment.

Or should we just say that 512 bytes for IPv4 (and if we want ~1190
for IPv6) is the max size of syslog message. Period. If we think of
syslog as a mechanism to provide notifications only and not a general
logging mechanism it is perfectly acceptable.  The details of the
error could be in the application's log files, state, etc. After all
transmitting an OS core file over syslog while could be helpful is
probably a wrong thing to do. And I think syslog is not a replacement
for logging to a local file.  So, my example of a large crash
diagnostic message that one of our applications logs would be the case
of something that SHOULD NOT go over syslog. Instead only a
notification of a crash with a possible basic reason why and possible
a mention of where extra details can be found should be in a syslog
message.

I am not thrilled at all about supporting fragmentation for UDP
transport.  But I don't like the idea of a mixed environment either.

I am also curious about what people think about how syslog compares
with SNMP notifications (informs - acknowledged and secure, and traps
- - unacknowledged and unreliable).  If syslog is a mechanism to notify
of state changes, then what's its role vis-à-vis SNMP notifications?

Thanks,
Anton.

sacrificing
> > too
> [...]
UDP.
> > existing
> > > and architects

> > > "SHALL NOT",
> > > "OPTIONAL" in this
> > The

> > >     [Page 3]
> > >     May 2004

> > > be referred
> > > be referred

> > > example, a syslog
> > > can host any
> > > be hosted on a

> > the
> > > and receiver
> MUST fully
> > > IPv6 if it is

> generic payload
> header and an
> > IP
> > > structure as used

> > > datagram per
> messages as large
> > as

> > >     [Page 4]
> > >     May 2004

> > > total size of
> > > size of UDP
> > > large messages
> > > fragmentation of large
> > > transmission and

> > > one complete
> > > Transmitting multiple
> > > a single UDP

> > >     [Page 5]
> > >     May 2004

> header and
Basic
> > extended

> transport for
> > > datagrams
> > > format in ABNF

> message is
> > transport
> > > "1". It must
> > > is a basic
> > > basic header in

> > > (message is

> > >     [Page 6]
> > >     May 2004

> header (message
> > is

UDP
> > extended
> > > is "1". The
> > > extended header
> > > additional fields

> > > used solely
> > > They SHOULD NOT

> and the IP
> fragments of
> receiver into a
> > > value in the
> > the

> MessageId value
> > > Subsequent messages
> > > MessageId by 1
> > the
> > > potential errors in
> > > reassembley

> > syslog

> > > range of 1 to

> > >     [Page 7]
> > >     May 2004

> > > syslog message
> > > MUST be present
> > syslog
TotalLength

> > > the length of a
> [...]
substantial
> receiver hosts.
> > It
> > one
> > anticipate
> > > reduce the
> > > restricting them to

> > >    [Page 13]
> > >     May 2004

> > > implementers

> > > detect and
> > > transit due to
> > problem.
> > > problem because
> message being

> > > error message or
> > > sender receives a
> > > lost, it MAY

> > > software,
> use of UDP
> > checksums
> > > not provide for

> > > systems (hosts
> > > they are not
> > > packets when
> > > or multiple
> > > the receiver
> > messages.

> > the
> in which the
> > > within each syslog
> > > order, but
> were generated
> > > from different
> > > syslog message
> used as an

> > >    [Page 14]
> > >     May 2004

> > the

> > > message with
> > > will not be
> > > the reported

> > misconfigured
> > > representing itself as
> to readily
> > > themselves

> > >    [Page 15]
> > >     May 2004

> This section
> > > syslog transport

> > > the identity
> > the
> the syslog
> > indeed
> > > from another

> > > transmit syslog

> > > attack amidst
> > > start generating
> > > This may get
> > > spend their time
> > > the attacker
> > > different process

> > > messages to give
> > > may generate
> subsequently generate
> > >  The system
> > > verify that the

> confidentiality of the
> > > text, this is
> clear-text
> > > attacker may then
> > > compromise a machine
> > > information

> > >    [Page 16]
> > >     May 2004

> > > transmission of

> > > replay attack.
> > remove
> > > messages to the
> > > find nothing
> > falsely

Considerations
> > containing
> > > any notice.
> > > more syslog
> > > developing and
> > and
> > > activities.

> > > not require
> > > processed on
> > > security implication
> > > devices may
> > > to discard
> messages may
> > > they will not

> some way to
> > > of service
> > > define some
> > > Priority value
> > > field [4],
> > Services
> > > the network,
> > and

> > >    [Page 17]
> > >     May 2004

> > > messages to it
> device itself.
> > > minimize this

> > >    [Page 18]
> > >     May 2004

> > >    [Page 19]
> > >     May 2004

> > > along with
> > > each other.
> > > please replace
> > after

> > >    [Page 20]
> > >     May 2004

> > >    [Page 21]
> > >     May 2004

> > David
> > > all others

> > > August 2001.

RFC-protocol.

> > > 768, August

> > September

> > > Version 6 (IPv6)

> > > Indicate Requirement

> > Protocols.",

> > > "Definition of
> > > the IPv4 and

> > June

> > 2131,

> > RFC

> > > Communication

> > >    [Page 22]
> > >     May 2004

> > Harmful,"
> > pp.390-401",

> > >    [Page 23]
> > >     May 2004

> > > restrictions outlined in
> > > message size
> > > transport via
> > These
> > > datagram size for

> > > have been shown
established
> > > 512 bytes. For
> > > restricts the
> larger value
> > > data size to

> > helps
> > > fragmentation.  This
> two levels:
> fragmentation has
> > avoid
> fragmentation can be
> > all

> > > minimum size
> > > the minimum
> > > both cases,
> > > IP headers are
> > > length and UDP
> restrictions
> > > is 56 bytes or
> > > the transport

> > > UDP/IP headers
> > > DHCPv4 with an
> > IPv6

> > > MTU of the
> UDP is not

> > >    [Page 24]
> > >     May 2004

> > > ICMP errors
> > consistently.
> > > above and not

> > >    [Page 25]
> > >     May 2004

> > any
> claimed to
> > > described in
> > > such rights
> > > represent that it
> > > Information on the
> standards-track and
> BCP-11. Copies
> > of
> > > assurances of
> > > attempt made to
> > > specification can

> > > attention any
> > proprietary
> > > to practice
> > > IETF Executive

> Rights Reserved.

> > > furnished to
> > > otherwise explain it
> > > published
> > any
> > > paragraph are
> However, this
> > > by removing
> > > Society or other
> procedures for
> > > other than

> > > will not be
> assignees.

> > > provided on an
> > > ENGINEERING
> > > INCLUDING
> INFORMATION

> > >    [Page 26]
> > >     May 2004

WARRANTIES
> [...]
> > > size is specified
> > > been shown not to
> > > TCP/IP Illustrated
> > > established UDP-based
> > > bytes. For example,
> > > implementation  and
> > > [123][11]Hedrick, C., Routing
> > > [124][12]Droms,
> > > restricts the
> > > value through
> > > TFTP  Protocol
> > > to 518 bytes,

> > > that it helps
> > > fragmentation. This
> > > levels: syslog
> > > has significant
> > > avoid  double
> > > significantly
> > > hosts must be able

> > > minimum size of
> > > the minimum MTU
> > > September 1981.
> > > Hinden, Internet
> > > 1998.. In both
> > > the MTU of the
> > > IP headers are
> > > length and UDP
> > > restrictions ensure
> > > is 56 bytes or
> > > the transport

> > > UDP/IP headers
> > > DHCPv4 with an
> > > a larger IPv6
> > > in  the  IPv6
> > > payload   limits
> > > Version 6 (IPv6)

> > > the MTU of the
> > >  UDP is not a
> > > providing ICMP errors
> > > consistently.
> > > above and not

> > >    [129]

> > > or scope of any
> > > claimed to pertain
> > > described in this
> > > rights might or
> > > it has made any
> > > on  the  IETF's
> > > standards-track   and
> > > BCP-11. Copies of
> > > assurances of
> > > attempt made to
> > > such proprietary
> > > can be obtained

> > > attention any
> > > other proprietary
> > > required to practice
> > > IETF Executive

> Rights Reserved.

> > > and furnished to
> > > otherwise explain it
> > > published and
> > > restriction of any kind,
> > > paragraph are
> > > However, this
> > > as by removing
> > > Society or other
> > > of developing
> > > copyrights defined
> > > as required to

> > > and will not be
> assignees.

> > > provided on an
> > > INTERNET ENGINEERING
> > > INCLUDING BUT
> > > INFORMATION HEREIN
> > > WARRANTIES  OF

> > > provided by the

> file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.html#toc

file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.html#intro
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#TransportProtocolOverview
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#DefinitionsAndArchitecture
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#RequiredTransportProtocol
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#EncapsulationLayers
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#MessageFormat
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#BasicHeaderFormat
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#ExtendedHeaderFormat
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#Message Identifier
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#TotalLength
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#FragmentOffset
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#ExtendedHeaderExample
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#Payload
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#SupportedMessageLength
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#LowerLayerConsiderations
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#TargetPort
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#SourcePort
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#SourceIPAddress
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#UDPIPHeader
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > ml#FragmentationAndReassembley
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#MessageFragmentation
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#MessageReassembley
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#AvoidingFragmentation
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#reliability

file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.html#loss
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#corruption
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#overload
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#sequence
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#SenderAuthentication
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#security
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#SecAuth
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#SecForg
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#SecObs
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#SecReplay
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#SecRelDel
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#SecPri
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#SecDen

file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.html#iana
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#rfc-editor
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#authors

file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.html#acks
> [...]
> > > ml#RFC0791
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#RFC2460
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > > ml#RFC2474
> > >
> file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.html#toc
> > >
> file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.html#toc
> > >
> file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.html#toc
> > >
> file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.html#toc
> > >
> file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.html#toc

file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.html#toc
> > > file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-01.ht
> > ml#toc
> > >  121.
> >
> file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog->
transport-udp-01.html#Steve
> > ns
> > >  122.
> >
> file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog->
transport-udp-01.html#RFC10
> > 35
> > >  123.
> >
> file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog->
transport-udp-01.html#RFC10
> > 58
> > >  124.
> >
> file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog->
transport-udp-01.html#RFC21
> > 31
> > >  125.
> >
> file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog->
transport-udp-01.html#RFC13
> > 50
> > >  126.
> >
> file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog->
transport-udp-01.html#RFC07
> > 91
> > >  127.
> >
> file://localhost/usr/tmp/draft-ietf-syslog->
transport-udp-01.html#RFC24