Re: [Syslog] transport-tls vs. syslog-sign

"Rainer Gerhards" <rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com> Fri, 16 May 2008 15:06 UTC

Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 17:06:45 +0200
From: Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com>
To: robert.horn@agfa.com
Cc: syslog@ietf.org, syslog-bounces@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Syslog] transport-tls vs. syslog-sign
Sender: syslog-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Robert,

thanks again for the excellent description. My comments below...

[Rainer]
The differences I see is that between the two there are differences in
what modes can be used. For example

                 -sign     -transport-tls
x.509            yes        yes
fingerprints     no         yes
openPgP          yes        no
(other)          yes        (N/A)

Also, -sign specifies how certificates are distributed (section 5.2, 5.3
among others). -transport-tls does not talk about certificate
distribution. In fact, -sign focuses very much on the distribution.

-sign also describes something that one could call a threat model in its
security considerations (section 8). There is a strong overlap between
these two. For example, -sign 8.8 is addressed in -tls 3
(confidentiality) and could be referenced as a solution. On the other
hand, -tls does not spell out countermeasures found in -sign against the
remaining threats.

So I think it is more than just different stores. I think both drafts
define the threat model, talk about authentication, and talk (or be
silent) on certificate distribution. There are just a number of
differences between them.

As I outlined in my mail yesterday, -tls cannot really authenticate the
originator. -sign can do that. -sign cannot provide confidentiality.
-tls can do that. So a really secure system would need to utilize both.
Then, it would at least be useful to have the same set of drafts reuse
some ideas. Even the relationship between those two is not spelled
out...

If this inconsistency is acceptable in order to finally get things done,
that's fine with me. I just wanted to make sure everybody is aware of
that situation.

Rainer