Re: [T2TRG] [saag] New Version Notification for draft-irtf-t2trg-iot-seccons-02.txt

Barry Raveendran Greene <bgreene@senki.org> Tue, 04 April 2017 14:22 UTC

From: Barry Raveendran Greene <bgreene@senki.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2017 07:22:03 -0700
Cc: "Garcia-Morchon O, Oscar" <oscar.garcia-morchon@philips.com>, "T2TRG@irtf.org" <T2TRG@irtf.org>, "saag@ietf.org" <saag@ietf.org>, Mohit Sethi <mohit.m.sethi@ericsson.com>, "Kumar, Sandeep" <sandeep.kumar@philips.com>
To: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [T2TRG] [saag] New Version Notification for draft-irtf-t2trg-iot-seccons-02.txt

Hi Team,

I agree with Eliot. The draft is disconnected with reality. I attend a lot of “IoT  Hack-a-thons” out in Asia (my wife is usually a judge). These are always huge events whose participation exceeds the organizer’s expectations. At no time do I see any of the teams ever think about security. The few times I offer to give “mini-IoT security workshops” get little interest. Why? Because everyone is focused on the IoT coding for the function - not the lifecycle.

The reality with IoT devices is that drafts like this are idea, but don’t match reality. I’m now thinking a head what we have to do on the Network in Operators when my “rate of customer infection” goes from 20% - 30% (today) to 70% - 80%. Connected Appliances with a +10 year lifecycle with the owners not maintaining them, is a new world for us.

I survey of all the IoT Security “standards” and “guidelines” assumes we can remediate the violated IoT device. I put forward for the IETF that we cannot assume remediation. We have to assume that we cannot remediate. Hence, we need other tools in the network to mitigate the risk.

Barry