[Taps] Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-taps-minset-08: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Wed, 12 September 2018 02:43 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-taps-minset@ietf.org, Theresa Enghardt <theresa@inet.tu-berlin.de>, taps-chairs@ietf.org, theresa@inet.tu-berlin.de, taps@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 19:43:50 -0700
Subject: [Taps] Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-taps-minset-08: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-taps-minset-08: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-taps-minset/

COMMENT:

General:

It's not clear to me who the target audience is for this draft or what the
purpose is for publishing it as an RFC. It seems like an internal working group
document that won't have much archival value once the interfaces are published.
It seems telling that Appendix A (which IIUC is entirely historical) is almost
twice as long as the body of the draft.  But I see that it is in fact chartered
work, so I'm balloting "No Objection".

Otherwise, I just have a few editorial comments:

General: The annotation "(!UDP)" is used throughout. I can guess the meaning,
but it would be better to explicitly state it. Also, it seems odd to find that
sort of annotation imbedded in paragraph form text.

§1: Please include a citation for the "Berkeley Sockets Interface". (Maybe the
POSIX specs?)

§3.1, section title: What is the meaning of using all-caps here? It would help
to include some description of the typographical convention. (This repeats in
some other sections).

§3.1 "We caution implementers to be aware of the full
   set of trade-offs, for which we recommend consulting the list in
   Appendix A.2.1 when deciding how to initialize a connection."

If there is content in an Appendix that is risky for an implementor to skip,
please consider moving it into the body. People regularly skip reading
appendices.