Re: [Taps] Normative language change in the Interface document (Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-taps-interface-19.txt)

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Tue, 14 March 2023 10:48 UTC

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 10:48:47 +0000
To: Mirja Kuehlewind <mirja.kuehlewind=40ericsson.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no>, Reese Enghardt <ietf@tenghardt.net>
Cc: "taps@ietf.org" <taps@ietf.org>
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [Taps] Normative language change in the Interface document (Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-taps-interface-19.txt)

On 14/03/2023 10:24, Mirja Kuehlewind wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> first thanks for all the work!
>
> I reviewed the diffs below and actually have two questions on normative language, not on the content but on the use of normative language.
>
> In the arch doc, it's this sentence here
>
> " An application SHOULD NOT depend on
>   		 	      specific caching behaviour, instead it ought to explicitly request
>   		 	      any required or desired properties via the Transport Services API."
>
> I don't disagree with this sentence but use of normative language seems a bit awkward. I would recommend to either use lower case should or maybe say "SHOULD NOT rely on" instead because that seem more like an active choice.

I'm unsure that I precisely understand the diference between /rely upon/
and /depend upon/, in this sentence I'd be happy either with either word
- "rely" would be fine for me.

> For interface we have this sentence:
>
> "An Endpoint MUST NOT be configured with multiple identifiers of the
>   	   That is, an endpoint cannot have two IP addresses specified.  Two
>   	   same type."
>
> However, this is not a requirement but a matter of fact. This is how we in this document define an endpoint - it can only have one identifier. I missed this change on github but I don't think it's correct.

I think (if I understand your argument) that you say a design will
prevent this because that is how we define Endpoint. I'd agree a design
of system cannot allow this, but then thenis it any better to state the
design requirement as "The design of the API MUST NOT permit an Endpoint
to set multiple identifiers of the same type."

Gorry