Re: [tcmtf] [tsvwg] M2M, WSNs and draft-saldana-tsvwg-tcmtf

<Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de> Mon, 30 July 2012 08:45 UTC

From: Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de
To: brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:44:54 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US, de-DE
Cc: tcmtf@ietf.org, tsvwg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [tcmtf] [tsvwg] M2M, WSNs and draft-saldana-tsvwg-tcmtf

Brian,

a two parts response:

QoS interconnection isn't free of charges. The philosphy I am
aware of is "sending party pays". It's a sender incentive
then to ensure the traffic is marked as desired.

Traffic using TCP transport should use a QoS class optimised
for TCP transport, I'd suggest. A recurring issue during
standardisation and interconnection discussion with network
engineers is to avoid to name QoS classes by applications.
The point is to look at the required QoS properties. Transport
seems to be reasonably abstract.

Another issue: QoS means to avoid congestion (this is
not CoS, meaning "survive longer"). Under foreseeable
operational conditions, all QoS classes experience similar
forwarding (no drops and low delay/jitter).

That's why I also don't favour approaches starting from
an application and ending with a new required QoS class.
Where's the experience with the deployed classes
justifying this way of engineering?

The more basic part of your statement:

I agree, we don't need *another* set of classes. You, James and
I just don't agree on which are the ones we don't need. The
set I propopse is rather abstract. I didn't up to now catch a
single line telling me why this set of classes isn't useful.
Instead you say that you prefer a small set as I propose but
then you support James class/codepoint overspecification.
Too many classes, codepoints and standards around them
are part of the problem, they are not part of the solution.

To be precise: Interconnection agreements are simple regarding
the EF and the Best Effort class. They are work intensive
for AF based classes. Do you have an idea what could be
the cause?

No standards body besides IETF works with these many
codepoints and classes. Even if they propose pure IP
interconnections. But (obviously) each standard body
picks another subset and some of them interpret IETF AF
standards rather creative. Yes, DiffServ is flexible enough
to deal with that. Administration, operation and
interconnection negotiation however benefit if there's a
standard behviour, used by a majority of all customers and
by tailored adaptions used by a few.

Regards,

Ruediger

On 30/07/2012 07:53, Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de wrote:
> Folks,
>
> avoiding a DSCP rewrite at domain boundarys is probably
> impossible - there are many independent DiffServ
> deployments by now.
>
> Al Morton will present some ITU work on the issue. We propose
> to apply a small standardised set of domain behaviours (also
> called QoS classes) at interconnection interfaces. The benefit
> is a domain remarks tranmitted/received traffic to/from the
> interdomain DSCPs.

That assumes that you trust the diffserv markings applied by your
peer. In the general case, that seems unlikely, which is why there
is always likely to be a classifier as well as a re-marker at the
boundary, and quite possibly a traffic conditioner too.

Agreed, there might be a subset of peering relationships at which
you would be prepared to trust your neighbour's DSCPs. I thought
that was one intent behind RFC 4594 and its possible update.
We surely don't need *another* set of recommended traffic classes.

However, at a peering connection where you don't have that level of
trust, you have to either reclassify all packets or mark everything
as best effort.

Every ISP needs to solve the interworking
> issue once only and should expect a reasonable end to end QoS.
>
> The proposal more tries to look at DiffServ router forwarding knobs:
> a queuing mechanism and active queue management. My view is, these
> can be optimised for an expected transport behaviour:
>
> UDP traffic (streaming or telephony, real time gaming) will most
> likely not be retransmitted. A short queue will do, active queue
> management by random drops isn't required (unless you'd like
> to apply PCN marking or the like).
>
> TCP traffic interacts with router congestion indications, queues
> may be a little bit deeper and active queue management may be
> deployed. Today it is RED, ECN or the like in future.

How do you help the alarming amount of traffic that is streaming over
TCP?

    Brian