[tcmtf] Glossary of TCMTF terms

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Tue, 18 June 2013 11:04 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: tcmtf@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 13:04:18 +0200
Subject: [tcmtf] Glossary of TCMTF terms

Hi,

Mirko and I included an "index term" at the beginning of the TCMTF -
recommendations draft. Perhaps we could consider the possibility of also
including one TCMTF - reference model draft.

Here go some definition proposals, which can of course be improved:

TCM-optimizer / TCMTF-optimizer

   The host where TCM optimization (also TCMTF optimization) is deployed.
It corresponds to both  the
   ingress and the egress of the tunnel where native packets are included.

   If the optimizer  compresses headers, multiplexes packets and creates the
tunnel, it behaves as a "TCM-ingress optimizer".

   If it decompresses headers, demultiplexes packets and extracts packets
from the tunnel, it behaves as a "TCM-egress optimizer".

policy manager

   A network entity which makes the decisions about TCMTF parameters:
   multiplexing period; flows to be multiplexed together, depending on
   their IP addresses, ports, etc.  It is connected with a number of
   TCMTF multiplexers and demultiplexers, and orchestrates the
   optimization that takes place between them.

native packet

   A packet sent by an application, belonging to a flow that can be
   optimized by means of TCMTF.

native flow

   A flow of native packets.

TCM packet / optimized packet / TCM-optimized packet

   A packet including a number of multiplexed and header-compressed
   native ones, and also a tunneling header.

TCM flow / optimized flow / TCM-optimized flow

   A flow of TCM packets.

Best regards,

Jose