Re: draft-ietf-tcpimpl-prob-04.txt

alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) Fri, 07 August 1998 18:47 UTC

From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-tcpimpl-prob-04.txt
To: vern@ee.lbl.gov
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 19:47:40 +0100
Cc: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk, tcp-impl@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-tcp-impl@relay.engr.sgi.com

> > 	Failing to clear reserved bits. At least one OS turns around
> > 	received frames in some cases. It assumes the reserved bits were
> > 	clear when they may not be.
>
> If the bits are reserved, but not must-be-zero, then it seems a bit hard to
> fault the OS.  Its peer is fiddling with bits that aren't supposed to be
> fiddled with, and it's just (inadvertantly) cooperating with that.
>
> If they're MBZ, though, then I agree it's a bug.

The TCP RFC seems to think the reserved bits must be zero. Arguably the OS is
behaving validly since the received frame wasnt valid tcp either but I dont
think its 'expected behaviour ;)'

Ironically there other scheme using TOS upper bits also broke as we do
ToS reflection (ie you connect with bulk data you get bulk data back)

Alan