new version of TCP Congestion Control

Mark Allman <mallman@lerc.nasa.gov> Fri, 18 December 1998 17:51 UTC

To: tcp-impl@lerc.nasa.gov
Cc: Vern Paxson <vern@ee.lbl.gov>
From: Mark Allman <mallman@lerc.nasa.gov>
Subject: new version of TCP Congestion Control
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 12:51:21 -0500
Sender: owner-tcp-impl@lerc.nasa.gov

Folks-

We just sent in a new version of the ``TCP Congestion Control'' I-D
(which will be draft-ietf-tcpimpl-cong-control-02.txt).  It should
be available from the archives soon.  You can grab a copy of the
I-D, as well as context and word diffs between this version and the
last version at:

    http://gigahertz.lerc.nasa.gov/~mallman/share/tcpimpl/

The following changes were either minor editting nits or in response
to things raised in the last call period...

-Minor wording tweaks
-Changed the allowed initial window from 1*MSS to up to 2*MSS, per
 the short discussion in Orlando.
-We deleted the MSS definition and replaced it with two new
 definitions.  SMSS, which is the segment size the sender uses (per
 the MTU or Path MTU Discovery, or whatever).  And, RMSS is the
 segment size announced by the receiver in the MSS option (or the
 default, if the option is not used).  Hopefully, by using more
 specific terms, we have made the text more clear.

We believe there is strong concensus for this document now and plan
is to send this document to the IESG soon (probably next week with
the newreno draft, assuming no large objections to that document
appear before the WG last-call ends next Tuesday).

allman