Re: 50000 connections and gigabit speeds

rpw3@rigden.wpd.sgi.com (Rob Warnock) Sun, 29 November 1992 02:49 UTC

Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1992 18:48:52 -0800
From: rpw3@rigden.wpd.sgi.com
To: kurt@unirsvl.RSVL.UNISYS.COM
Subject: Re: 50000 connections and gigabit speeds
Cc: tcplw@cray.com

kurt@unirsvl.RSVL.UNISYS.COM says:
+---------------
| > > It is highly unlikely that one would want to run
| > > 50,000 tcp connections at gigabit speeds (you would need a
| > > lot of buffer space).
|
| Why not? The gigabit speed would just decrease the network latency time,
| wouldn't it? Then you could get the same transaction rate on the host with
| fewer networks. The buffer space needed would not go up. I am interested in
| a transaction environment only, not doing 50,000 file transfers at the same
| time.
+---------------

Then you are going to be mightily disappointed in gigabit networks. Except
for some few cases of mongo-gram transactions in low-diameter LANs, you will
not find gigabit networks decreasing latency much. Consider: An 800 mile T3
link (through two routers) is about 25 ms [as reported by skibo@cs.uiuc.edu,
now skibo@sgi.com]. That latency will not lessen (and it probably will even
even go up a bit) if you run over an OC-12 ATM link (622 Mb/s). Unless each
separate "transaction" is *huge* [which creates error & flow control problems],
an increase in link speed beyond double-digit megabits/sec will not buy you
much of anything.

Even in a LAN, increases in link speed give disappointingly small decreases
in latency. Just ask anybody about NFS over Ethernet versus over FDDI...

Gigabits are for blasting files, not transactions [unless you have 50,000
outstanding transactions or something]....

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock, MS-9U/510		rpw3@sgi.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		(415)390-1673