Re: [tcpm] ECN++: Whether to allow ECT/CE marking of pure ACKs and what response to recommend to feedback reporting that a pure ACK was CE marked.

Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Fri, 13 October 2017 10:44 UTC

To: marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>
Cc: tcpm IETF list <tcpm@ietf.org>, Jana Iyengar <jri@google.com>, Anna Brunstrom <anna.brunstrom@kau.se>
From: Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 12:44:01 +0200
Subject: Re: [tcpm] ECN++: Whether to allow ECT/CE marking of pure ACKs and what response to recommend to feedback reporting that a pure ACK was CE marked.

Hi Marcelo,

see inline.

On 10.10.2017 10:25, marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:
> Hi Mirja,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I understand that what you are proposing is that we only allow ECT
> marking of pure ACKs when AccECN is negotiated and that upon the
> reception of a signal informing that a pure ACK was CE marked, the
> sender must reduce its CWND as with any other packet, is that so?
>
> some further questions below....
>
> El 09/10/17 a las 13:57, Mirja Kühlewind escribió:
>> Hi Marcelo,
>>
>> sorry for top-posting but I’m actually not sure where exactly to reply below because I think the situation is less complicated than you described it below.
>>
>> First of all I think pure ACKs should not be ECT marked if AccECN is not supported. Losing an ACK is less bad than losing a data packet but you should not mark packets as ECT if there is no way to provide feedback to the sender if congestion was experienced.
>
> I am not sure i understand why you say that when AccECN is not
> supported, there is not mean to provide feedback to the sender. Wouldnt
> the receiver simply set the ECE flag in packets going in the other
> direction upon the reception of a pure ACK with the CE mark?

Actually this is a good question and not well-specified in RFC3168. So my
guess it that this is a no for most implementations but more research is needed.

>> Then if you have AccECN it is actually not that much important if a pure ACK or a data packet was marked.
>

> Actually, people make the argument that there is a difference between
> data packets and pure ACKs.
>
> The concern people expressed it that reducing the CWND based on CE marks
> on pure ACK introduces a bias, since the sender reduces the CWND when
> Pure ACKs experience congestion but the sender does not increase the
> CWND when the pure ACK does not experience congestion. This is a
> fundamental concern, i believe and it is irrespective whether there is
> data traffic along with pure ACKs, i think.

There is huge difference here because if you only send pure ACKs your
congestion would decrease to min-cwnd sooner or later anyway and you should
not increase that just because you send ACKs continuously. In this scenario,
increasing the congestion window without actually using it, is a bad idea.

However, usually you don't get any feedback that tells you that an ACK was
received or not, so I don't even understand how you would want to increase
the cwnd for ACKs...?

Anyway we seem to agree below on using ECN for pure ACKs only with AccECN, right?

Mirja