[tcpm] response to questions raised at Beijing's meeting

Jerry Chu <hkchu@google.com> Thu, 25 November 2010 21:26 UTC

Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 13:27:00 -0800
From: Jerry Chu <hkchu@google.com>
To: tcpm@ietf.org
Subject: [tcpm] response to questions raised at Beijing's meeting

I have not seen the meeting minutes but two questions were raised
during the just passed IETF meeting, one from Lars on whether the
User Completion Time (UCT) as reported from our testbed includes
time spent on 3WHS, the other on whether raw test data from our
testbed can be made available.

The answer to the 1st question is No, our UCT does not include 3WHS.
If this is believed to be important we can certainly rerun tests to
include 3WHS.

The answer to the 2nd question is Yes, and we have made the raw
data available for download from
http://research.csc.ncsu.edu/netsrv/?q=content/iw10

Unfortunately the set of raw data does NOT include tcpdump traces
due to the sheer sizes. If you really want the packet traces we can
certainly rerun tests to collect them. But we'll probably need to find a
way to host the possibly voluminous data more efficiently.

BTW, the above mentioned web page contains all the info about the
testbed hosted by NCSU and parameters used in our tests. If you'd
like to see a different set of parameters being used just let us know.
But please apply good judgement as we can only accommodate a
limited number of test requests due to time constraint. (Dr. Idris Rai
has questioned the use of 40 pkt buffer being too large. But as others
pointed out that size is not unreasonable. Also we've found out a
buffer pool smaller than 40 can cause severe performance (response
time) degradation even for IW3.

Thanks,

Jerry