Re: [tcpm] upcoming consensus call on IW10

Mark Allman <mallman@icir.org> Mon, 06 June 2011 13:07 UTC

To: Jerry Chu <hkchu@google.com>
From: Mark Allman <mallman@icir.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 09:07:47 -0400
Sender: mallman@icir.org
Cc: "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>, David Borman <david.borman@windriver.com>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] upcoming consensus call on IW10

> >        Title           : Increasing TCP's Initial Window
> >        Author(s)       : J. Chu, et al.
> >        Filename        : draft-ietf-tcpm-initcwnd-01.txt
> >        Pages           : 20
> >        Date            : 2011-04-14

(1) We should Make This So.

    Nobody has offered any illustrations of concrete and broad problems
    caused by this and to the contrary we have quite a bunch of evidence
    that addresses the concerns that have been raised.

    There is always One More Case that might be problematic, but we have
    been down that road quite a bit and seemingly things are OK.

    There is always some ratty network that will end up being
    problematic, but we should not hold everyone up based on corner
    cases.

    The bottom line is that we will **never** **know** how it will work
    in the whole Internet until we deploy it in the actual whole
    Internet.

    So, I think unless someone can readily identify issues via concrete
    experiments and/or measurements that suggest this is a bad idea that
    the time has come to agree this is a reasonable path.

(2) I prefer a solution that does not specify an initial window, but
    rather a tolerance for problems caused by an initial window.  I
    think we should still move something like this forward so we don't
    ever have to consider a precise IW value again.  But, at this point
    it seems we should not hold up an IW bump for something that might
    or might not happen and has shown somewhat variable energy behind
    it.

allman