Re: [tcpm] Q&C regarding tcpsecure-09 recommendations

Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU> Tue, 03 June 2008 00:42 UTC

Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 17:41:05 -0700
From: Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU>
To: tcpm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [tcpm] Q&C regarding tcpsecure-09 recommendations
Sender: tcpm-bounces@ietf.org

Hi, all,

This is, IMO, a signal to review the recommendations in Section 1.1. I
was always concerned that these mitigations would be misinterpreted as
applying to hosts in general, which they do not.

The document, IMO, is insufficient in indicating therein that:

	- with source port randomization, the mitigations are not needed
	(port randomization provides a 2^15 strength amplification),
	even presuming source IP addresses are known

	- if source IP addresses are not known, the mitigations are not
	needed

	- the mitigations may increase the time needed to respond to
	a legitimate RST, incurring extra RTTs or retransmissions
	vs. an unmodified system

	- the mitigations are not a substitute for network or
	transport authentication, either of which obviate the need
	for the mitigations (yes, this is noted in the security
	considerations, but it's buried w.r.t. applicability)

	- the mitigations protect only off-path attacks; on-path
	attacks, such as ISPs shutting connections down deliberately,
	are not prevented by this mitigation (yes, also noted
	in security considerations, but again worth noting in
	applicability, and worth adding the ISP example, IMO)

It seems like these ought to be added, in light of the note below.

Joe