Re: [tcpm] intended status of draft-ietf-tcpm-accurate-ecn

Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net> Thu, 05 March 2020 13:41 UTC

From: Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2020 14:41:51 +0100
Cc: Yoshifumi Nishida <nsd.ietf@gmail.com>, "tcpm@ietf.org Extensions" <tcpm@ietf.org>, tcpm-chairs@ietf.org, Ilpo Järvinen <ilpo.jarvinen@cs.helsinki.fi>
To: Bob Briscoe <in@bobbriscoe.net>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] intended status of draft-ietf-tcpm-accurate-ecn

Inline

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6994

> I need advice on whether to take out the text about using an experimental option kind now that AccECN is intended for stds track.
> Q1. At what point can/should we apply for a new option kind?

Options are registered based on standard actions, so they will be assigned on publication of the RFC.

> Q2. Are implementers still expected to use an experimental option kind until a stds track draft is approved as an RFC?

Yes. However, the document should only describe the final option. TFO notes in the IANA section that the experimental option exists and implementation should mitigate.

> This is also pressing for Ilpo, who tells me he is planning to submit his implementation of AccECN to Linux netdev for upstreaming by the end of this week. He expects some discussion so there will be time before it goes through. But I'm sure he wants  to obey the IETF's rules.

I guess the idea is that it doesn’t go into main line kernel before the RFC is approved… I know that’s not the reality.

I guess you can check with Yuchung what he did for TFO but I guess they’ve upstreamed it before the draft was published...