Re: [tcpm] Accurate ECN side-meeting

Murari Sridharan <muraris@microsoft.com> Tue, 31 July 2012 19:10 UTC

From: Murari Sridharan <muraris@microsoft.com>
To: Yuchung Cheng <ycheng@google.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 19:10:28 +0000
x-originating-ip: [131.107.192.92]
Cc: "tcpm (tcpm@ietf.org)" <tcpm@ietf.org>, Yu-Shun Wang <Yu-Shun.Wang@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] Accurate ECN side-meeting

In fact I'd go as far as to say "how to get TCP to consume significantly less buffers to achieve the same throughput" is one of the most important problems for TCPM to solve. Without this folks are going to do brute force workarounds to try and lower the latency for everybody else on the network. The discussion around congestion control RTCWeb at the recent workshop is a great example. If we don't fix TCP on the Internet everything else (protocols, hardware) will have to become more complex (and less resilient) just to work around this problem.

IMHO the starting point for all of this is to get ECN enabled on the Internet. It requires the kind of effort and drive that IETF is putting behind IPv6.

Thanks