Re: [tcpm] Please review RFC 1323bis

"Scheffenegger, Richard" <rs@netapp.com> Sun, 04 November 2012 13:23 UTC

From: "Scheffenegger, Richard" <rs@netapp.com>
To: David Malone <David.Malone@nuim.ie>, Pasi Sarolahti <pasi.sarolahti@iki.fi>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2012 13:23:35 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.104.60.114]
Cc: "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] Please review RFC 1323bis

Hi David,

thank you for your comment.

As far as I can see, receivers modifying the timestamps as their usage is defined in RFC1323(bis) can really only affect their RTO; either decrease the effective RTO time - leading to increased spurious retransmission timeouts, thus a performance penalty to themselves, or increase the effective RTO time - leading to less timely retransmissions for last resort recovery, again leading to a performance penalty to themselves (assuming the RTTM / RTO mechanism is not severely broken in the sender).

>From what I learned, the linux code switched to internal bookkeeping when CUBIC was developed, because TS got repurposed to provide the Cubic epoch time; by modifying the TSecr values, the receiver could modify the epoch time, which in turn resulted in a much faster ramp-up of the senders cwnd than intended. Thus a receiver could actually gain from that modification.

However, RFC1323(bis) defines timestamps only for two purposes (PAWS, RTTM for RTO).

So, I agree that there exists an attack vector to the RTTM part of RFC1323, but the outcome will be detrimential to the attacker.

We do have other drafts in the WG, that deal with timestamps and additional mechanisms using those (draft-scheffenegger-tcpm-timestamp-negotiation and draft-trammell-tcpm-timestamp-interval). I think your concerns are valid, and are discussed in those documents, specifically when timestamps are to be used for mechanisms outside RFC1323 (such as Cubic; Chirp, Ledbat,...).

But perhaps some of the text in those drafts should become part of 1323bis at this time?

Any opinions?

Richard Scheffenegger