Re: [tcpm] Feedback on WG acceptance of draft-bensley-tcpm-dctcp-03

"Scheffenegger, Richard" <rs@netapp.com> Wed, 29 April 2015 12:44 UTC

From: "Scheffenegger, Richard" <rs@netapp.com>
To: "Scharf, Michael (Michael)" <michael.scharf@alcatel-lucent.com>, "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 12:43:33 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.122.56.79]
Subject: Re: [tcpm] Feedback on WG acceptance of draft-bensley-tcpm-dctcp-03

Hi,

I think this draft, if the intention as I understood it so far, is to documents a specific, defined and deployed use case, would warrant informational status; Personally (disclaimer - as one of the co-authors of AccECN-reqs and the AccECN draft) I'm not very happy with the mangling of the ECN feedback mechanism described herein, but I do like the modulated CC reaction, which I believe has merit to develop further.

I tend to agree with Gorry, that the proper expertise to review the draft would be in TCPM, but it probably should be submitted as AD sponsored informational document. We have precedent for this - in TSVWG, the rtmfp spec was dealt with similarily (disclaimer, I served as doc shepard for that). A standards-track document should resolve the ECN signaling issue (ie. by requiring AccECN on both ends) at the very least.

Best regards,
 Richard