RE: [tcpm] [Repost] Review of the various TCP MACing proposals

"Anantha Ramaiah \(ananth\)" <ananth@cisco.com> Mon, 10 July 2006 18:22 UTC

Subject: RE: [tcpm] [Repost] Review of the various TCP MACing proposals
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:21:57 -0700
From: "Anantha Ramaiah (ananth)" <ananth@cisco.com>
To: EKR <ekr@networkresonance.com>, tcpm@ietf.org
DKIM-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; l=8033; t=1152555721; x=1153419721; c=relaxed/simple; s=sjdkim6001; h=Content-Type:From:Subject:Content-Transfer-Encoding:MIME-Version; d=cisco.com; i=ananth@cisco.com; z=From:=22Anantha=20Ramaiah=20\(ananth\)=22=20<ananth@cisco.com> |Subject:RE=3A=20[tcpm]=20[Repost]=20Review=20of=20the=20various=20TCP=20MACing=2 0proposals; X=v=3Dcisco.com=3B=20h=3D348QjpvMfA9Hsik82eTOtUzsr9Q=3D; b=dzfG/G4wwuPYsZfIObbIC/wRys4g2ptBBTJzw3Cxe69LmlUParWyWDYdDwnHiysx7/qtBEK5 msbwMFP5W6plAfRqKhRh5elzpkhbURgLbasQul1NfYkB3I+lcFp0ShGr;

Eric,
   Just a quick observation below..

> 3. TCP MD5 doesn't support key rollover, which means
>    that rekeying requires tearing down existing connections
>    which is a problem for BGP.

Since the TCP MD5 RFC (2385) does not specify about the key change and
the associated actions, implementations tried to do what they liked.
There is no implication that the session needs to go down if the key is
changed.

It was true that at one point of time when the password (key changed)
the session would be closed and re-opened again by BGP. This has been
corrected by all major BGP implementations. (LDP and MSDP as well,
although I haven't checked)

-Anantha