Re: [tcpm] [tsvwg] New Version Notification for draft-grimes-tcpm-tcpsce-00.txt

"Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> Fri, 12 July 2019 19:39 UTC

From: "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To: "Black, David" <David.Black@dell.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 12:39:47 -0700
CC: "rgrimes@freebsd.org" <rgrimes@freebsd.org>, "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] [tsvwg] New Version Notification for draft-grimes-tcpm-tcpsce-00.txt

> Rod,
>
> This draft appears to be focused on obtaining a TCP header bit for SCE.

Yes, that is correct.

> As an alternative to this single-bit proposal, please take a look at draft-ietf-tcpm-accurate-ecn (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-accurate-ecn/) and consider how that functionality might (or might not) be usable with SCE.

I specifically did not do what Accurate Ecn attempts as that requires
a TCP option negotiation at connection establishment to negotiate the
overloading of other TCP header bits.  SCE only needs 1 new bit, and
does not alter the behavior of any current bits.

This proposal (TCPSCE) does not in any way effect the current use of
any of the other bits, and use of the NS bit should be fully backwards
compatible and ignored by pre SCE implementations and does not require
a TCP option negotiation.

I have to get additional data but have been lead to understand that
adding a tcp option and doing that negotiation is going to cause a
great deal of pain in the ability to deploy accurate ecn as it is
currently designed due to middle box inspection and handling.

Regards,
Rod