Re: [tcpm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tcpm-hystartplusplus-12.txt

Michael Tuexen <michael.tuexen@lurchi.franken.de> Sun, 15 January 2023 21:10 UTC

From: Michael Tuexen <michael.tuexen@lurchi.franken.de>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 22:10:28 +0100
Cc: Neal Cardwell <ncardwell@google.com>, tcpm@ietf.org, i-d-announce@ietf.org
To: Praveen Balasubramanian <pravb.ietf@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tcpm-hystartplusplus-12.txt

> On 12. Jan 2023, at 00:47, Praveen Balasubramanian <pravb.ietf@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I see, thanks Neal for the clarification. I then suggest that we eliminate this deployment experience line completely because its not with the proposed algorithm in this document and that it will confuse new developers as to why the document suggests using pacing with L=infinity when the default in Linux contradicts it.
>
> Any concerns with just removing this line entirely?
In general I think providing data points precisely is a good thing,
even if they are inconclusive.

I think the document can still suggest to use L = infinity, if pacing is used.
Also using L < 2 is not optimal.

The only unclear point is what value of L to use if you do not use pacing.
Maybe the threshold of 8 is not a hard value for all traffic patterns,
link characteristics and implementations.

Best regards
Michael (as an individual)