Re: ACKing every packet [was RE: comments on draft-ietf-tcpsat-stand- mech-04.txt]

Vern Paxson <vern@ee.lbl.gov> Sat, 20 June 1998 06:21 UTC

To: "Falk, Aaron" <Aaron.Falk@trw.com>
Cc: tcp-over-satellite@achtung.sp.trw.com
Subject: Re: ACKing every packet [was RE: comments on draft-ietf-tcpsat-stand- mech-04.txt]
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 23:21:20 -0700
From: Vern Paxson <vern@ee.lbl.gov>
Sender: owner-tcp-over-satellite@achtung.sp.trw.com

> We all know that congestion control isn't fair to long delay
> connections.  It takes longer for the window to open to use available
> bandwidth. Contrarily, when there is congestion, it takes longer for the
> window to close--making long delay connections fairly unresponsive to
> network congestion, i.e. the window is closed when it should open and
> continues to open when it should close.

However, the time constants themselves in the two cases are *way* different.
The time it takes for the long delay connection to open its window is many
RTTs; to close it, a single RTT.  So yes, it responds to congestion in 500
msec instead of 120 msec - but as soon as it does, it won't be bothering
you for a long time to come.

		Vern