RE: [Techspec] Editorial notes on draft-mankin-pub-req-08.txt

"Stephen Hayes (TX/EUS)" <stephen.hayes@ericsson.com> Thu, 25 May 2006 04:32 UTC

From: "Stephen Hayes (TX/EUS)" <stephen.hayes@ericsson.com>
To: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>, techspec@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Techspec] Editorial notes on draft-mankin-pub-req-08.txt
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 23:32:24 -0500

Hi Paul,

See my comments inline.

Thanks, Stephen

Agree

> -----
>
> In section 3.4:
>     o  Req-REFVAL-1 - The IETF technical publisher should ensure that
>        references within specifications are available.
> That should probably be "...that all references..."; some of them are
> sure to be available. :-)

Agree

> -----
>
> In section 4.1:
>     o  Req-TIMEFRAMES-2 - The consensus of the IETF community is that
>        the time required for a pre-publication review should
> be under 10
>        days. The actual performance targets and metrics are
> expected to
>        be determined as part of the contract negotiation process.
> The term "pre-publication review" is not defined anywhere in the
> document, and it probably should, given this consensus statement.

It should probably refer to section 3.1.

> -----
>
> Section 5 talks about "potential issues" for the IETF. Two bullet
> items do not match the earlier part of the document.
>
>     o  Pre- vs Post-Approval Editing: If emphasis switches from post-
>        approval editing to pre-approval editing, then IETF
> processes must
>        be adapted to make use of this service.  The processes
> for post-
>        approval editing can also be streamlined.
> Section 3.1 makes a requirement that the emphasis must switch. So,
> "If" should probably be "When".

I'm not sure that 3.1 requires that the emphasis must switch to pre-approval reviews.  We are putting a requirement that the publisher support pre-approval reviews, but we have not yet decided if the IETF will really make use of it.

>     o  Allocation of Permanent Stable Identifiers: IETF needs
> to clearly
>        identify the naming/numbering schemes and classes of
> documents to
>        which those names and numbers apply.  Furthermore, the
>        responsibility for allocation of those names/numbers
> needs to be
>        identified.
> Section 3.8 says that it is the IETF publisher's responsibility, so
> the second sentence should probably be removed.

This wording should be cleaned up.  The idea was that the technical publisher would own and allocate the RFC number series.  Other identifiers might not be owned by the technical publisher.  So the technical publisher would be directed to assign a given number/name to a document.  The problem is that the handling of these non-RFC identifiers is not stable.