Re: Telnet Transfer Control Option

"Robert G. Moskowitz" <0003858921@mcimail.com> Tue, 08 June 1993 11:01 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1993 10:58:00 +0000
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Robert G. Moskowitz" <0003858921@mcimail.com>
To: telnet ietf <telnet-ietf@cray.com>
Subject: Re: Telnet Transfer Control Option

Steve Alexander said on June 3rd:

>While cleaning out some old mail I realized that I never sent this out.
>I received this a while back, with the request that the group review it.

This looks interesting.  In SNA terms this is equivalent to a Clsdst pass (Close
Destination and Pass (I think I got that right :) )).  SNA has for a VERY long
time had the ability for the host side of a connection to close the connection
and force a reestablishment of it with another host application.  This is used
be Session Managers and many other things.

A few of us see how the TN3270 effort would use this option.  Instead of just
doing a Clsdst Pass, an actual reconnection of the TELNET session could be made.
This could result in a more 'direct' connection without SNA tunneling.

It could also be used to load balance between a group of TN3270 servers, much
the way that 'classical' SNA gateways like Novell SAA and DCA's Select Comm
Server do today.

This idea of load blancing could also apply to 'regular' TELNET where you have a
group of interactive user servers and the desire is to spread the load.

THEREFORE:

I have taken the liberty to cross post this draft on the TN3270E listing to be
reviewed by a bunch of SNAers.  I have requested that they direct any technical
comments here, not on my list ;-}

Robert Moskowitz
Chrysler Corporation
TN3270E WG Chair