Re: TEWG - RIPE cooperations.

Bernhard Stockman SUNET <boss@sunic.sunet.se> Wed, 21 March 1990 09:22 UTC

To: Torben Nielsen <torben@foralie.ics.Hawaii.Edu>
Cc: ndnnet-c@finhutc.hut.fi, ripe-org@mcsun.eu.net, tewg@devvax.TN.CORNELL.EDU
Subject: Re: TEWG - RIPE cooperations.
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 1990 10:19:43 +0100
From: Bernhard Stockman SUNET <boss@sunic.sunet.se>

The statistics of traffic flow is a growing point of interest
especially for international connections where organizations
from more than one country is involved and of course are interested
in the outcome of their funding like line utilization in different
aspects.

I could not find any IETF working group that explicitly mentioned
the development of tools for traffic statistics or the gathering
and presentation of the data, but I know that such statistics are
collected for example by Merit on the NSFNET backbone using NNSTAT.

Maybe the development of statistical tools and presentation of traffic
flow data for Internet connections could be an area for a separate working
group if this is not already subject of some working group. This could be
a natural point of international cooperation as a lot of the lines
are international.

In NORDUnet we have been collecting statistics using SNMP on NORDUnet
since September 1989 and for RIPE since December 1989. In the NORDUnet
statistics among others the international connections between NORDUnet
and Netherlands and between NORDUnet and the US (John van Neuman Center, NY)
are gathered. The RIPE statistics is for all national CISCOs connected to
the European RIPE backbone. I have written some tools that generates PostScript
diagrams from the collected data. These diagrams are available with anonymous
ftp from nordunic.nordunet.se (192.36.148.17) under the directory
statistics. Have a look at those diagrams if it is what you had in mind.
PostScript maps for the covered areas could also be fetched from nordunic or
from mcsun.eu.net.

We are also using NNSTAT for some areas to be able to estimate protocol
usage and gather specific net tot net statistics. These data will soon
be presented using the same tools as the above mentioned diagrams thus
have the same layout.

Regards,
Bernhard Stockman.