Re: thinosi status?

Peter Furniss <cziwprf@pluto.ulcc.ac.uk> Mon, 11 October 1993 12:54 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Peter Furniss <cziwprf@pluto.ulcc.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: thinosi status?
To: Jeffrey Robbins <70303.1570@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1993 13:46:03 +0100
Cc: thinosi@ulcc.ac.uk

Jeff Robbins sent:

> We have a set of products based on OSI networking for Microsoft Windows.
> We use a seven layer stack coded from the relevant ISO docs.
> I have read some skinny and thin stuff sent to me from John Day
> at Bolt Beranek and Newman.  What is the status of your efforts?

Presumably one of the things John sent you was the current Internet-
Draft of the thinosi "cookbook". The status of that is one of the current
topics for discussion ! It is meant to be a re-specification in more
friendly terms of those parts of the OSI upper-layer protocols that are
used by "basic communication" application protocols - which means
those that do not use complex session functional units. The current
charter of the IETF thinosi group proposes the progression of this
document on the internet standards track (but the precise nature of
the document has changed slightly). By re-presenting the
specifications, the document leads away from the lingering view that
OSI implementations should be structured like the model. (technical
note - an implementation built on the thinosi document will interwork
with one built on the base standards - the protocol is identical)

The status and content of the document is under discussion on this
list and it is hoped to have this resolved before or at the Houston IETF
meeting. Watch this mailing list !

You have probably also seek the Common Upper-layer requirements
part 3 (CULR-3) "minimal OSI facilities", which is a profile, in normal
OSI profile style, of the OSI upper-layers as needed to support "basic
communications". It is thus similar in intent to the cookbook. (One
starts with nothing and adds the protocol bits you need; the other
starts with the standards and takes out the bits you don't need)
CULR-3 is intended to become an International Standardised Profile
eventually.

> Much like Moliere's character, it looks like we've been speaking thinosi
> all along!

Yes probably. If you merged the layers and concentrated on what you
needed and not what happened to be the standard, you have a skinny
stack. thinosi recommends some encoding choices, but the
interworking requirement means that the allowed alternatives can be
understood on receipt.

Peter Furniss