Re: [TICTOC] Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-tictoc-multi-path-synchronization-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

"Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF)" <ietf@kuehlewind.net> Thu, 22 September 2016 12:46 UTC

From: "Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF)" <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 14:32:01 +0200
To: Karen O'Donoghue <odonoghue@isoc.org>
Cc: "draft-ietf-tictoc-multi-path-synchronization@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-tictoc-multi-path-synchronization@ietf.org>, "tictoc@ietf.org" <tictoc@ietf.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "tictoc-chairs@ietf.org" <tictoc-chairs@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [TICTOC] Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-tictoc-multi-path-synchronization-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Karen,

not sure what you mean by „seem more like research“, however, both Standards track documents and experimental documents are protocol specifications (or defining other kinds of normative information; but in this case we seem to speak about a protocol spec). The difference between experimental and standards track is that there is less deployment (potentially none) and therefore there are open questions that might influence the protocol design. These open questions should be mentioned at best in an own section. If the experiment is successful, one could either adapt the specification based on the achieved results or even move the document forward to standards track without any modification if the experiment showed no problems that need to be fixed. As I said, both types should be written as specs, just the level of maturity might be different. ‚Just‘ putting a research paper into a draft is usually not sufficient as research papers are written with a different target and different target audience.

There is no transition from experimental to informational. If a doc is only informational, in the sense that it does not specify a protocol or defines any other normative information, it should be informational from the beginning.

Does that help to clarify things?

Mirja