Re: [TICTOC] Scalable Synchronization Networks

HanLiuyan <han.liuyan@outlook.com> Wed, 11 November 2015 03:23 UTC

From: HanLiuyan <han.liuyan@outlook.com>
To: "tictoc@ietf.org" <tictoc@ietf.org>, "talmi@marvell.com" <talmi@marvell.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 03:23:42 +0000
Subject: Re: [TICTOC] Scalable Synchronization Networks

Hi Tal,

Sorry to reply late.  I have just subscribed to the TICTOC mail list. The chinamobile mail address seems have a problem so I use another address.

Please find the attached slides we presented on the IEEE ISPCS conference in Oct. 2015. Beijing has deployed the PTP widely and the end-to-end time accuracy is within +/- 500ns. So PTP accuracy definitely satisfies the LTE requirements.

In the last years, I also heard some doubt about PTP networks from my colleagues, especially the colleagues responsible for the mobile network maintainence. They mantioned a problem that it was hardly to know the actual status and time accuracy from the PTP network. For example, if there was serious fiber asymmetry in the network, the base station may still use the PTP source and the service will get worse.  On the other hand, using the traditional GNSS synchronizaiton, the base stations can obtain the clear information of the GNSS receiving number, SNR etc.

So the main concern may be not the accuracy, it is how to prove PTP can be a carrier-grade networking technique.

So during deployment, we also try to find more possible management and monitoring solutions for the PTP networks. For example, the sync loss and degradtion alarms,  to monitor the time paths, to compare the PTP performance with other references on some important monitoring points, etc.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Liuyan

Re: [TICTOC] Scalable Synchronization Networks
Tal Mizrahi <talmi@marvell.com>Mon, 02 November 2015 10:15 UTC
Hi Liuyan,

That sounds promising, so it would be great if you could share that information.
It would certainly be useful to the working group.

We have been hearing a lot of doubts from customers and colleagues about PTP, e.g., that it is not widely deployed and not reliable.

Any data about scales, accuracy, downtime statistics, deployment scenarios, typical problems would be welcome.

Thanks,
Tal.