RE: [TLS] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tls-srp-13.txt

Peter Williams <home_pw@msn.com> Thu, 21 December 2006 17:50 UTC

From: Peter Williams <home_pw@msn.com>
To: Peter Sylvester <peter.sylvester@edelweb.fr>
Subject: RE: [TLS] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tls-srp-13.txt
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:50:18 -0800
Cc: tls@ietf.org

An important concept in IETF is that the WG is distinct from the mailing list. Furthermore, WG and authors
are distinct. Furthermore IESG processes are yet more distinct. There is not a WG in IETF that would
have me, for example! Put Peter's name on an I-D, and its the kiss of death!

The mailing list arguments are NOT the place where Eric's jugements are based, if I look
at 10 years of history of viewing previous resolutions in IETF. They are in a place you and
I cannot see, with political forces that are not visible. There is no accountability, and
no means of reasoning against them. Many personal, funding, back-project & other
biases come into play.
The ONLY way to argue against this process is to deploy. If there is adoption, those
non-mailing list processes do Change. They are still very biased and un accountable, but
the politics DOES WORK. IETF is not a plebs paradise; its built on the politics of
wars-of-adoption. One has to admit, at the end of the game, its specifications are
models of engineering clarity and do-ability, when they stay below 50 pages.